About Lim Tien Hong
By his own words, "I have never considered myself a Blind Man."
With that in mind, Lim has never limited his ability to achieve things in life. He is determined and motivated to learn and grow in his paths of life.
Lim lost his eye-sight due to damaged optical nerves as a result of an accident at the age of ten. Because of that, he missed 2 years of school. Then, he moved to Penang alone and started his schooling again. He learnt Braille and went on till his PhD despite his lecturer making him drop a module due to his blindness. He never lost his vision despite the loss of his sight, to borrow the words of Helen Keller.
Lim is currently pursuing his PhD. in Development Economics in University of Malaya (UM), which is due for completion in mid-2019. He did his Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees in Economics at UM too. Among the many academic achievement awards he has received:
- Being on the Dean’s List – 2006
- Best Blind Student Academic Achievement Award, by Malaysian Association of Blind (MAB) – 2008 & 2013.
- He has tutored a cohort of undergraduates in the subjects of Microeconomics & Macroeconomics at UM. Besides conducting seminars, he independently planned assignments and lessons for 14 week programmes. He also served as the editor of the Wawasan magazine – a print and digital magazine. At present, he is working as a marketing administrator.
- Since his university days to the present, he has been actively involved in advocacy and social work. In his capacity as the Secretary of Human Capital Development of Society for the Blind Malaysia (SBM), he has organised a variety of events including motivational and leadership camps as well as skills improvement courses. He also ran a blog (jpmisbm.blogspot.com) which provided a database of job opportunities to help visually-impaired job seekers. Lim has represented the blind community in meetings with the government and other stakeholders. Most notably, he represented SBM on the Implementation Technical Committee of the Ministry of Human Resources’ ‘One Percent of Jobs for People with Special Needs’ programme. In addition, as a Certified Professional Coach, he has carried out coaching for clients to help them achieve their intended goals.
- As a presenter at an international conference called ‘Disability Studies: Heading in the right(s) direction?’ organised by University Malaysia Sarawak, Lim gave a talk on job placement services for people with blindness and visual impairment in Malaysia.
- As a volunteer tutor he has; among others taught PhD and Master’s candidates database preparation and analysis using SPSS.
- Volunteer Auditor, Public Transport in Kuala Lumpur, Lim carried out safety and worthiness checks on MRT stations and the shuttle bus services with officials from Ministry of Transport, JKR, DBKL, MRT Corp and the National Disability Council.
As the list goes on, Lim has so much invaluable life experiences to share with us. Hence Lim is coming to deliver his talk on 08 December 2018 at Centre of HOPE worldwide in Boulevard Sentul Raya. His life stories are truly an aspiration to many and towards the community, we are helping. We want to learn from him how did he manage to stay focused, self-motivated and managed to overcome all challenges and rise above the circumstances. There will be a Q&A session for Lim to engage with the audience on that day too!
Don't miss this golden opportunity to learn from Lim Tien Hong! Entry is Free and all are invited! We shall see you on 08 December, 3pm! For more info, please contact us at 03-4050 2541 or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out some of the photos about Lim as a speaker and presenter in various events:
Bringing HOPE Changing LIVES